Choc Swirled Pavlova with Caramelised Pears & Pecans
500g FAGE Total
3 medium egg whites
150g caster sugar, plus 2tbsp
1 tsp cornflour
40g dark chocolate, melted, plus 20g shaved, to serve
3 large ripe pears, peeled, cored & chopped
30g pecans, toasted
- Heat oven to Gas Mark 1 / 140°C. Line a large baking sheet with non-stick baking paper.
- Using an electric hand whisk, beat the egg whites in a large bowl until they form soft peaks. Add 150g caster sugar, a heaped tablespoon at a time, whisking until glossy between each addition. You should have stiff peaks once the sugar has been added. Fold in the cornflour.
- Spoon about a third of the meringue onto the baking tray and spread to form a circle about 22cm in diameter. Drizzle the melted chocolate over the remaining meringue and loosely stir through. Place dollops of the meringue around the edge of the circle to form a crown and bake for 1 hour until firm. Turn off the oven, open the door ajar and leave to cool completely.
- Heat butter in a large non-stick frying pan, add pears and cook over a medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes, until deep golden. Add pecans, sugar and a pinch of salt and cook for a further 2 minutes until the sugar has dissolved. Stir in 2 tablespoons of water and set aside to cool.
- Carefully lift the meringue onto a serving plate and fill with the yoghurt. Top with the sticky pears and sprinkle with chocolate.