For the sponge:
250g unsalted butter, softened
250g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
5 large eggs
100g FAGE Total 5% Fat
310g self-raising flour
½ tsp salt
3 tbsp whole milk
For the chocolate buttercream:
150g milk chocolate
1 cup icing sugar, sieved
FAGE Total 5% fat Greek Yogurt (amount depends on consistency)
- Grease and line a deep 18cm round cake tin. Preheat the oven to 160°C, gas mark 3.
- Place the butter, sugar and vanilla into a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat together until pale and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl using a spatula, and beat in the eggs one at a time. Add 1 tbsp of flour if the mixture starts to curdle.
- Beat in the yoghurt, and then fold in the flour with the salt, beating on a medium speed until the mixture is thick and smooth. Finally, mix in the milk, then spoon into the tin and bake for 1 hour 10 minutes or until risen and golden. A skewer inserted should come out clean.
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin for 20 minutes, and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Make the icing by first melting the milk chocolate carefully in the microwave, or in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Add the sieved icing sugar in a large bowl, and then gradually add the yogurt until you reach the consistency you’d like (the more yogurt the tangier the taste also the thinner the icing so keep an eye on your consistency). Mix in the chocolate
- Level off the cake, and then use a serrated knife to divide into two equal layers. Place the bottom layer on a cake stand and spread with a quarter of the icing using a palette knife and then place the second layer on top. Apply a thin layer of icing over the whole cake to seal in the crumbs, then refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the fridge, and then apply the final layer of icing all over the cake using a palette knife.
- Decorate with chocolate shavings and gold and silver sprinkles. Enjoy!