Lamb Shank with Tomatoes & Garlic Yoghurt
A twist on a Greek classic - Slow cooked lamb shank marinated in yoghurt and garlic.
For the garlic yoghurt:
50g FAGE Total
2 garlic cloves
Paprika for dusting
- Spoon 3 tbsp of FAGE Total Yoghurt into a bowl and stir in the lemon zest, garlic, 1 tbsp oil, seasoning and cumin. Toss in the lamb shanks and stir well. Set aside for at least 1 hour to marinate.
Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large frying pan then fry the meat in batches until browned. Lift from the pan, add the remaining oil then fry the onion until tender.
Pour in the wine and stir well to release any sediment from the base of the pan. stir in the remaining ingredients, except for the olives and the artichokes.
- Cover the pan and leave to simmer for 2 hours until the meat is tender, then stir in the olives and artichokes and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Stir the garlic into the remaining yoghurt and chill.
- Serve the lamb topped with a spoonful of the garlicky yoghurt and dust with paprika.
- Serve with a side salad and a rice pilaff made by simmering rice in stock with finely chopped onion, fresh parsley and toasted flaked almonds.