Lebanese Flat Bread with Mackerel & Yoghurt Hummus
For the hummus:
2 tbsp FAGE Total
400g tin chickpeas, cooked, washed & drained
2 cloves garlic, crushed
½ lemon juice
2 tbsp tahini paste
Salt & pepper, to taste
For the bread:
100g FAGE Total
4g dried yeast
½ tbsp sugar
75-100ml lukewarm water
300g plain flour
½ tsp sea salt
½ tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp red chillies, sliced
Extra coconut oil for cooking
For the mackerel:
4 mackerel fillets
Coconut oil, for cooking
For the salsa:
8 spring onions, trimmed & finely chopped
100g fresh peas, cooked
1 tsp lemon thyme, finely chopped
2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
½ lemon, juice
4 tbsp FAGE Total
100g red cabbage, finely sliced
- Place the chickpeas, garlic, lemon juice, tahini paste, seasoning and FAGE Total yoghurt in a food processor and mix to make the hummus. Refrigerate.
- To make the flatbread, place the yeast, sugar and 25ml of the lukewarm water into a small bowl and lightly stir to dissolve. Place the bowl in a warm place for approximately 10-15 minutes to activate the yeast. The mixture will froth up.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl and make a well in the centre. Add the salt, activated yeast, coconut oil, chopped chillies and yoghurt to the flour and begin to combine. Add the remaining lukewarm water as required and knead the dough until it comes together without being too sticky.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead for approximately 5 minutes. Rest the dough for 10-15 minutes.
- Pre-heat a large frying pan to a medium heat. Divide the dough into 4 portions and roll out into thin oval long shapes. Brush with coconut oil and cook in the frying pan until it bubbles and is golden on one side. Turn and cook the other side.
- In another frying pan, on a medium heat fry the mackerel fillets in a little coconut oil, for approximately 2 minutes on each side.
- Combine the spring onions, peas, lemon thyme, parsley and lemon juice together to make a salsa.
Spread the flatbreads with the homemade hummus, sprinkle with salsa and sliced red cabbage, lay on the pan-fried mackerel fillets and top with seasonal leaves and a dollop of yoghurt.