Slow Cooked Chicken Curry
250g FAGE Total
50ml vegetable oil
8 chicken thighs
1 cinnamon stick
4 cardamom pods
2 tsp ground coriander seeds
1 tsp turmeric
1 tbsp chilli flakes
2 onions chopped
2 cloves of garlic chopped
2 tsp freshly grated ginger
1 x 400g tin green lentils
200g tin chickpeas in water, drained
45g flaked almonds
- Heat the oil in a casserole dish and seal the chicken until golden brown.
- Remove the chicken from the dish, and cook the spices off, starting with the cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, coriander seeds, then the turmeric and chilli.
- Reduce the heat then add the onions, garlic and ginger, cook until the onions are soft.
- Place the chicken back in the dish, pour over the yoghurt and the water and season to taste.
- Bake in a slow oven 160C / Gas Mark 3 for 2 hours, with a lid or sealed with tin foil.
- Add the lentils and chickpeas, stir then leaving the dish uncovered return to the oven and bake for a further 20 minutes.
- Once cooked, scatter with the flaked almonds.