Spiced Lamb Burgers with Courgette Tzatziki & Chilli Jam
For the burger:
500g minced lamb
½ red onion, grated
2 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp cayenne
1 tbsp coriander, chopped
Salt & black pepper
For the Tzatziki:
100g FAGE Total 2%
1 large courgette
Small bunch of mint, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
For the tomato chilli (this will make about 4 jam jars worth):
1.5kg ripe baby plum tomatoes
300ml red wine vinegar
750g caster sugar
3 cloves garlic
2 tsp yellow mustard seeds
2 red chillies, chopped including seeds
4 ciabatta rolls
- Put all the burger ingredients into a bowl and mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the mixture into four and mould into burgers. Rest in the fridge until required.
- For the tzatziki, coarsely grate the courgette. Gently squeeze out any excess moisture then add the mint, garlic and yoghurt. Mix well and chill in the fridge until required.
- For the jam, cut the tomatoes into chunks and put all of the ingredients into a heavy based pan and bring to a simmer. Continue cooking the mixture until it starts to reach a thick jam consistency. At this point reduce the heat and watch the mixture closely to avoid it catching on the bottom of the pan.To test whether the jam is ready, put a little of the mix on a cold plate and chill in the fridge. If it sets after a few minutes take it off the heat. Store the jam in sterilised jars in the fridge.
- To serve, grill or BBQ the burgers for 4 minutes each side under a medium to hot grill.
- Halve the rolls and toast or griddle until warm and golden.
- Build your burger with a decent dollop of tomato jam and tzatziki. Customise with lettuce, red onion and even a slice of goat’s cheese if you wish.