Sweet Dough with Orange Blossom & Yoghurt Cream
100g FAGE Total
1 whole egg, plus 3 yolks
25g unsalted butter, melted & cooled
25g golden caster sugar
1 orange, zest
¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp baking powder
150g plain flour
3 tbsp orange flower water
50g icing sugar
Vegetable oil or rapeseed oil, for frying
2 oranges, peel & pith sliced off, sliced into ½ cm rounds
Small bunch mint leaves, torn
50g walnut pieces
5 tbsp honey, for drizzling
1 teaspoon cinnamon, for sprinkling
- To make the dough, whisk the egg yolks with the egg, butter, sugar and orange zest. Sift in the bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and 50g of the flour. Mix until smooth. Sift in the remaining flour and knead until a soft dough forms (if you have a food mixer, use the dough hook for this stage).
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Wrap in cling film and leave to rest in a cool place for 30 minutes. Lightly flour a work surface, roll out to about ¼ cm thick and cut into 12 x 8cm squares. Chill until ready to use.
- To make the cream, whisk the yoghurt with the mascarpone, orange flower water and sifted icing sugar. Chill until required.
- To cook, pour the oil until it is 2-3cm deep in a deep frying pan and heat to 180°C / 350°F or until a square of bread turns golden in 30 seconds. Fry in batches for 1-2 minutes on either side or until deep golden and puffed up. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
- To assemble, pile the cream on top of a square of dough, top with an orange slice, mint and walnuts, drizzle with honey then repeat with another layer.
- Sprinkle with ground cinnamon & serve.
- Chef’s Tip - You can prepare the dough two days in advance. Either fry to order or re-heat the cooked dough in the oven.