TOTAL Marquise Birthday Cake
This recipe is for the 8" cake (top layer only) which is a sensible size for you to make at home:
For the vanilla sponge:
250g FAGE Total
300g unsalted butter
300g golden caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
350g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
For the yoghurt cream:
150g FAGE Total
350ml whipping cream
50g golden caster sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
To build the cake:
500g fresh raspberries + some for decoration
2 boxes of white chocolate cigars
1 pomegranate, quartered
Edible glitter and gold leaf to decorate (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4. Butter and line 2 x 20cm (8") cake tins.
- In a large bowl using an electric beater, cream the butter and sugar together until l
- Divide the mixture between the 2 prepared tins. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before turning onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- For the yoghurt cream: whip the cream to a stiff peak. Whisk the sugar and vanilla into the yoghurt and then fold the cream in gently. Keep to one side.
- To build the cake: trim and slice the vanilla sponges horizontally to give 4 x 1.5cm (3/4") thick layers. Line a 20cm (8") round spring form tin with baking paper. Place a layer of cake on the bottom. cover with a layer of the yoghurt cream (approx 0.5cm (1/4 ") thick). Cover with fresh raspberries then cover with more cream and repeat till you reach the top of the tin. Cover the cake and remaining cream with film and leave to chill for at least 6 hours in the fridge.
- To decorate, gently remove the cake out of the tin and transfer to a serving plate. Using the rest of the cream and a palette knife spread a small layer all over the cake to cover. Stick the chocolate cigars to the cream all round the edge.
- Decorate the top of the cake and the serving plate with the redcurrants, blueberries, strawberries, pomegranate quarters and any remaining raspberries. Add a touch of edible glitter and gold leaf for extra glam!!!
- Keep in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Perfect served with a raspberry coulis.