Lamb Youvetsi with Halloumi with Yoghurt
A wonderful one pot dish for the whole family, real comfort food. I have yet to come across anyone young or old who does not just love this. My boys are such fussy eaters but they have huge platefuls of Youvesti.
50g FAGE Total (plus 500g for serving)
5-9 tablespoons olive oil
800g shoulder of lamb trimmed & cut into 1 ½ inch pieces
3 red onions, finely chopped
6 cloves garlic, chopped
2 x 400g can of plum tomatoes
Salt & pepper to season
4 sticks of cinnamon bark
400g orzo pasta
4-6 tbsp grated halloumi (or feta or kefalotiri)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4.
- Heat the oil in a heavy casserole dish and fry the lamb until it is sealed and golden on all sides.
- Remove the lamb from the dish and add a little more oil. Add the onions and constantly stir until they start to turn golden then add the garlic.
- Add the whole tomatoes in their juice and crush them with a spoon.
- Season with salt and pepper and add the cinnamon.
- Put the meat back in the pan and allow to gently boil for a few minutes.
- Add 1 litre of hot water.
- Cover and bake for no less than an hour.
- Add the pasta and bake for another 15-20 minutes. Add more water if it looks a bit dry.
- 5 minutes before you serve, add the cheese and stir, then put back into the oven.
- Stir in 50g of FAGE Total yoghurt, and serve with some extra dollops.