Polenta Yoghurt Cake with Almonds & Orange
A gluten free almond and orange cake. The yoghurt adds moistness to the sponge.
For the Sponge Cake:
120g FAGE Total
190g golden caster sugar
50g self-raising flour
grated zest of 2 oranges
100g ground almonds
2 tablespoons of poppy seeds (plus 1 tablespoon extra for the top of the cake)
For the Syrup:
Juice of 2 oranges
140g golden caster sugar
1 cinnamon stick
A large dollop of FAGE Total
- Pre heat the oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3. Grease a 20cm/8” round cake tin.
- Beat the butter and sugar until it is pale yellow and creamy and beat in the eggs one at a time.
Add the flour, zest, ground almonds, polenta, FAGE Total yoghurt and poppy seeds. Mix well with a wooden spoon and transfer to the prepared tin smoothing the top with the back of a spoon.
- Bake for about 1 hour but check after 45 minutes – the sponge will be golden brown and springy when cooked. Leave to cool in the tin.
- To make the syrup place all the ingredients in a pan and bring to the boil then simmer until reduced by at least half and it has a syrupy consistency.
- Using a skewer dot holes across the surface of the cake and then pour over the syrup, sprinkle with the extra poppy seeds. Leave to soak in before removing from the tin.
- Serve with extra FAGE Total yoghurt or vanilla ice cream and a trickle of honey.