Wholemeal Artisan Bread
75g FAGE Total
400g strong bread flour
75g strong granary bread flour
7g dried yeast
2 tsp salt
200ml warm water
For the topping:
25g rice flour
1 tsp caster sugar
¼ tsp dried yeast
1 tsp vegetable oil
30ml warm water
- In a large bowl mix the flours, yeast and salt. Make a well and add the yoghurt and water.
- Mix well until the ingredients come together to form a dough. Knead on a floured surface for approximately 10 minutes.
- Gently flatten the dough ball a little (approximately 5in x 5in) tucking in the edges and cupping to make a nice round loaf shape.
- Oil some cling film, cover the dough loosely and place in a warm place for 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven 200°C / 400°F / Gas Mark 6.
- To make the topping, mix the rice flour, sugar, yeast and salt together.
- Stir in the oil and warm water until it forms a thickish paste. Cover and set aside in a warm place until ready to use.
- Once the dough has proven, use your hands to rub the topping evenly over the proven loaf.
- Place on a baking tray and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden with a lovely crackled top.
- Remove from the oven and tap the underneath - it should sound hollow. Leave to cool on a wire rack before serving.